Your legislators are in committees voting bills up and down right now. They hear from some of their constituents about what matters to them. Are they hearing from you?
Together Oklahoma coalition is here to let you know how to make Oklahoma better with public policies that are important, achievable, and uniquely suited to you as an advocate for fair and adequate funding of core public services.
In this email we’ll cover:
- Action Alert:
- State Budget Summit Videos– including Together OK member testimonials
- Upcoming events:
- Signing up for chapters
- Protect broad-based tax credits for working families: As lawmakers debate how to cover a massive budget shortfall, some have suggested doing away with important tax credits for hundreds of thousands of working families — Oklahoma’s Earned Income Tax Credit(EITC), Sales Tax Relief Credit, and Child Tax Credit/Child Care Tax Credit. Contact your legislators and tell them that their efforts to close the budget hole should not target the hundreds of thousands of regular families relying on these credits. (more…)
- Ensure Reasonable Accommodations for Pregnant Workers: Support HB 2897: HB 2897 would require employers to provide reasonable accommodations to pregnant workers when they do not force undue hardship on employers. The bill has been assigned to the House Business, Labor, & Retirement Laws Committee, where committee chair Rep. Randy McDaniel (R-Edmond) is refusing to give it a hearing. Contact Rep. McDaniel and tell him to allow a vote on HB 2897. (more…)
- Stop Civil Asset Forfeiture Abuse: Support SB 838 & SB 1189: Numerous abuses of civil asset forfeiture have been found across the nation, but Senate Judiciary Chair Anthony Sykes (R-Moore) is so far refusing to allow sensible reforms to even get a hearing in Oklahoma. Contact Sen. Sykes and tell him to hear SB 838 and SB 1189. You can also contact Senate President Pro Tem Brian Bingman(R-Sapulpa) and Senate Majority Leader Mike Schulz (R-Altus) and tell them to move the bills to a different committee if Sen. Sykes continues to refuse to give them a hearing. You can also sign up as a citizen co-sponsor of civil asset forfeiture reform here. (more…)
- Stop the Income Tax Cut: Support SB 1073: The Senate Finance Committee will meet Tuesday morning at 10:30 am. If you see this alert before 10:30 AM then please call. If not you can just check in to see how the vote turned out as Oklahoma lawmakers get their first – and possibly only – chance to stop the recent ill-advised income tax cut that is adding to the state’s massive budget shortfall and threatening critical public services. Please contact members of the Senate Finance Committee and urge them to Vote Yes to SB 1073.(more…)
State Budget Summit Videos
On January 28th OK Policy presented the 3rd Annual State Budget Summit to a packed crowd. This is also the 3rd year tickets for this event sold out proving that Oklahomans do indeed care about how our legislators spend our money. For those of you who missed this great program or who loved it and want to share it with your friends please follow THIS LINK to the wonderful videos filmed and edited by our friends at Main Street Photo and Video in Norman.
- Together TULSA Legislative Action Teams Planning (Feb, 20th at 2 PM- 4 PM Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma 1304 N. Kenosha Ave. Tulsa, OK 74106) If you plan to join us for the meeting please fill out this brief questionnaire so we can tell who will be coming from what district.
- Together OKC March 3rd
We’d like to start more chapters of TOK soon and we may start one near you. To let us know you are interested in having a Together Oklahoma chapter in your area please fill out this brief questionnaire and as soon as we have enough folks in your area we’ll host a kick off meeting to connect you with like-minded folks in your legislative districts.