[Note: The launch of the new membership process for Together Oklahoma is still coming soon, but not quite as soon as we promised in last week’s email. We’re busy training TOK volunteer leaders to welcome new members and make sure they get the best possible first impression of Together Oklahoma. Thanks for bearing with us!]
As we develop our Together Oklahoma network, the staff and leadership team members have been discussing how to describe the principles underneath what we are building. We are a statewide coalition of advocates for better budget and tax policies, but what does that mean?
Of course Together Oklahoma is a work in progress because it’s being created as we speak by the volunteer members, but here are the beginnings of a vision for our future:
Envisioning Together Oklahoma
- We confidently affirm that a budget is a moral document, and we are deeply troubled by what our current state budget says about Oklahoma values.
- Working together, we seek the best ways to provide prosperity for all Oklahomans in a thriving economy and with safe, healthy, equitable, and prosperous communities. We connect Oklahomans who share this mission to the facts and to each other.
- We insist on transparency and accountability from elected leaders, and we commit ourselves to fulfilling our responsibilities as active citizens. We focus on our home state because policy decisions made here are what affect us most and what we have the most power to affect.
Does that capture it well? Is there anything you would add or change? I’d love to hear your response!
Just one week left to register for Fall Policy Boot Camp
The next big opportunity to put these principles into action is coming soon! If you aren’t already signed up for one of OK Policy’s Fall Policy Bootcamps – on Oct 14th in Tulsa or Oct 15th in Edmond – I hope you’ll register now. This is a great way to get the information you need to be ready when the bills start flying around the Oklahoma House and Senate next year.
Other Upcoming Events
- October 4th, State Questions discussion with Women Lead Oklahoma at the Norman Public Library from 6-8pm.
- October 5th, OK Policy and BookSmart Tulsa will co-sponsor a discussion of the book Sleeping Giant: How the New Working Class Will Transform America at Tulsa’s Woody Guthrie Center. The event is free and open to the public. Find more information and let us know you’re coming on the BookSmart Tulsa event page.
- Oct 11th, State Questions discussion with Women Lead Oklahoma at 907 S. Detroit Ave. in Tulsa
- October 14th, Today is The Last Register to Vote Day so I’m Telling My Friends, is being held all over Oklahoma by mail or at your local election board, find forms and locations here. Invite your friends to the TOK Facebook event to remind them too.
- Oct 18th, State Questions discussion with Women Lead Oklahoma at the Girl Scouts Western Oklahoma in OKC from 6-8pm.
- Oct 25th, State Questions discussion with Women Lead Oklahoma at the Stillwater Public Library from 6-8pm.
- Tuesday, November 1st, Last week to help everyone get informed about what’s on the ballot, because casting uninformed votes is irresponsible and dangerous.
- November 8th, ELECTION DAY! (Yep, it’s a month away.)
As always, you can see these things and more at our website togetherok.org