Oklahoma children face teacher shortages, overcrowded classes and outdated textbooks every day in school. But every day, we are asking them to do more — learn more and test better — even as we deny them the funding and support they need.
We can’t fix our education problems by starving Oklahoma schools. A sensible solution to funding Oklahoma schools can be found right under our feet. Eliminating unnecessary tax breaks for horizontal drilling could pump $252 million extra dollars into our public schools this year alone. Learn the facts with our infographic and 2 minute video here.
ACTION ALERT: Lawmakers are considering a bill to make this tax break permanent. Click here to take action now!
Download our district fact sheets* below to find out exactly how much ending the tax break for horizontal drilling could benefit your school district in total and per pupil funding. The fact sheets are sorted alphabetically by school district name.
After you check out the data, call your elected officials today and tell them it’s time to tax horizontal drilling fairly.
- Reach your State Representative at (405) 521-2711 or 1-800-522-8502
- Reach your State Senator at (405) 524-0126 or 1-800-865-6490
Download fact sheets for every district (large file) or find your district in the list below.
*Per-district funding calculated based on each district’s share of total state aid formula funding in the FY 2014 mid-year allocation as of 12/17/2013, provided by State Department of Education. Per-student funding calculated based on 2013-14 district enrollment provided by State Department of Education. FY 2014 cost of horizontal drilling tax break based on estimates provided by Oklahoma Tax Commission, December 12, 2013. Data available upon request.
Additional Fact Sheets & Reports
- Priority for Oklahoma: Restore Education Funding (Together OK)
- Priority for Oklahoma: Curb Unnecessary Tax Breaks (Together OK)
- Unnecessary and Unaffordable: The Case for Curbing Oklahoma’s Oil and Gas Tax Breaks (Oklahoma Policy Institute)
- Study: Oklahoma’s Taxes on Horizontal Drilling are Among the Lowest (Oklahoma Policy Institute)